Green Paws Chicago
Field Services Leader
NOTE: THIS IS A SALARIED POSITION FOR SOMEONE WITH DEMONSTRABLE PRIOR SUPERVISORY/MANAGEMENT EXPERIENCE. WE PREFER SOMEONE WITH PRIOR PETCARE EXPERIENCE. SUPERVISORY EXPERIENCE IN A FIELD-SERVICE INDUSTRY WILL RECEIVE PREFERENTIAL CONSIDERATION.
With a few dozen pet care professionals in the field and hundreds of clients spanning neighborhoods from Edgewater to the South Loop and out to Logan Square, it takes a special kind of person to make sure that everyone is where they need to be, when they need to be there, and doing exactly what they should be doing.
To say our office is a fast-paced environment would be an understatement. To continue to drive the growth we’ve achieved over the past few years while maintaining our reputation for being the highest quality provider of in-home pet care in Chicago, we need a rock-solid professional keeping everything running smoothly. That’s where you come in.
Are you a “fixer”? Do you enjoy improvising to solve problems fast? Are you fastidious and obsessed with operating the logistical, day to day details of a fast-growing business? Are you a thinker and a doer?
This job involves everything from optimizing routes for our Pet Care Specialists to running keys throughout the city; from data entry to rescuing one of our folks in the field with a broken bike. Every day presents new problems to solve, so you’ll need to think fast and figure-out the best way to fix each situation as it arises...quickly and efficiently!
Your “clients” will be our Pet Care Specialists out in the field. You will proactively make sure that they are providing quality services and following company policies by providing them the tools they need to do so. You will proactively make sure that their routes are full and efficient, that they have the tools needed to get their jobs done in a timely manner, that their routes are covered when they need time off, and that they get paid accurately. When they have an issue in the field, you will be the one who saves them---whether it’s a flat tire or broken bike, a client problem that puts them behind schedule, or an accident.
You will work alongside the rest of the office team and report directly to our General Manager.
• Normal office hours are 9:00am-5:00pm Monday-Friday. Outside these times, you will also attend new customer consultations and participate in our weekend, evening and holiday on-call rotation with the rest of the office staff.
• Ability to schedule and dispatch remote professionals. The FSL is responsible for promptly coordinating schedules between trainers and candidates for both field interviews and training days. And our field staff will rely on you to keep their routes both full and efficient.
• Strong time management skills. You must have the ability to schedule your day down to each moment and keep to that schedule. All time spent out of office must be documented on our internal Google calendar.
• A superb knowledge of the City of Chicago (particularly of the streets and neighborhoods within our service territory). You will be spending part of each week out in the field with our staff and must know your way around. You are managing routes for a large group of professionals on bicycles for appointments throughout the city. You must quickly and accurately determine how new appointments fit into a route without risking the existing schedule.
• Ability to handle multi-tasking without dropping balls. There will be times when you have scheduling to do, an employee on the phone having an emergency, client keys to be distributed, and a new employee to head out with. If you get easily flustered, this position is not for you.
• Great computer skills. You will be working with our cloud-based scheduling system, our phone system and mobile app, browser-based email, Google Apps, and MS Office. You will need to be able to use some of these on an iPhone and iPad as well as on a desktop machine.
• Precise data-entry skills. You will be handling payroll-related data entry. If you make mistakes, you could cost your co-workers real money. Ensuring that our key library is accurate and up to date is also important.
• Excellent people skills. You must have a great personality and be easy to understand; communication and interpersonal skills are a must! The Field Staff Lead is a mentor to our field staff and will often be their primary face-to-face connection with the office. It is your job to create a team culture out in the field and give the field team a sense of connection with the Green Paws office staff. You will also often have to speak with both clients and field staff about schedule changes and emergency situations and you must be able to inspire confidence even in the face of a crisis. You must have a great phone voice and personality, speak clearly, be easy to understand, and be able to sound happy on the phone even when having a rough day.
• Being and indoor-outdoor “cat”. You’ll spend time in our office and out in the field (which means somewhere within our entire service territory). You must enjoy being on the move.
• Self-sufficiency. You don’t need to ask others how to do things; you just figure it out on your own. And when you run across and solve a unique problem, you document it so that others following you don’t have to reinvent the wheel.
• A serious work ethic. This is a very important job. A lot of people will depend upon you: Customers, PCSs, and your co-workers here in the office. You will only succeed if you are a very hard working and dedicated professional.